New WA laws to protect truck drivers
WA Planning and Infrastructure Minister Alannah MacTiernan said owner-driver transport operators will be well placed to survive the challenges of rising fuel prices, with the 1 August commencement of the Owner-Drivers (Contract and Disputes) Act 2007.
The new legislation ensures "a fairer bargaining position for owner-drivers to stamp out unsafe practices that cause drivers to cut corners to make a living", Ms MacTiernan's statement said.
The Minister said the Act:
- "established a Road Freight Industry Council which would develop guideline rates and a mandatory code of conduct;
- empowered the council to mandate the payment of safe and sustainable rates;
- implied fair terms into unwritten contracts;
- ensured owner-drivers were paid within 30 days of submitting accounts; and
- established a new Road Freight Transport Industry Tribunal to resolve disputes and enforce the Act and the code of conduct".
4 August, 2008