Areas of Practice:
- Local government law
- Planning law
- Environmental law
- Property law
- Valuation and compulsory acquisitions
- Administrative law
- BA 1981, University of Sydney
- LLB 1981, University of Sydney
- Master of Environmental Law 1998, University of Sydney
Julie has been involved in a number of significant cases including:
- Brimbella Pty Limited v Mosman Municipal Council 79 LGERA 367 – manner of approaching s56A appeals against decisions of Assessors of the Land and Environment Court (Court of Appeal).
- Ryde City Council ats Friends of Pryor Park 91 LGERA 302 – consideration of community land provisions of Local Government Act 1993 (Court of Appeal).
- Belongil Progress Association Inc. v Byron Shire Council 106 LGERA 202 – challenge to the validity of a Local Environmental Plan (Land and Environment Court).
- Ryde City Council ats Echt 107 LGERA 317 – administrative law – whether a council can be required to issue an order under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (Court of Appeal).
- Ryde City Council ats Meriton Apartments 108 LGERA 352 – s56A appeal – failure of Commissioner to take into account a relevant matter for consideration (Land and Environment Court).
- Mosman Municipal Council ats Lesnewski 138 LGERA 207 – consideration of whether section 101 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 precludes a challenge to the validity of a development consent; consideration of 'not inconsistent' in relation to Construction Certificates and Regulation 145 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulations (Court of Appeal).
- Leichhardt Municipal Council ats Bezzina Developers Pty Limited 146 LGERA 249 – assessment of compensation for disturbance arising out of compulsory acquisition of waterfront open space land at Balmain by Leichhardt Council (Land and Environment Court).
- Sutherland Shire Council v Sydney Water Corporation  NSWLEC 303 – assessment of compensation for compulsory acquisition of Council community land zoned open space (Land and Environment Court).
- City of Botany Bay v NSW Land and Housing Corporation  NSWLEC 160 – challenge to approval granted by NSW Department of Housing to an affordable housing development under SEPP (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009.
- Australian Property Institute (FAPI)
- Environmental Planning Law Association Inc.
- New South Wales National Trust of Australia
Recent Publications and Presentations:
- "Planning Certificates – what they tell you and what they don't" – presentation to the College of Law in 2013 and 2014.
- "A Short Introduction to Planning Law" – presentation to NSW Division of Australian Property Institute in 2010.
- "Valuation of Easements" – presentation to NSW Division of Australian Property Institute in 2012.
- Julie is responsible for the preparation of the Pikes and Verekers "Legal Update".
- 2012 - current: Partner, Pikes and Verekers Lawyers
- 2001 - 2012: Partner, Pikes Lawyers
- 1986 - 2001: Partner, Hill Thomson & Sullivan
- 1984 - 1986: Solicitor, Hill Thomson & Sullivan
- 1983 - 1984: In-house Solicitor, Blue Mountains City Council