Areas of Practice:
- Property law including sales and purchases of local government businesses
- Leasing and licensing of community and operational land
- Local government law
- Licensing law
- Commercial law
- Major infrastructure projects
- Extensive recent experience in major development projects for local government and private developer clients
- LLB 1978, University of Sydney
- MDR 1996, University of Technology
- Since commencing with Pikes in 1978 David has specialised in advising on local government property issues including advices on common law roads, lanes, drainage reserves, easements, property acquisitions and possessory titles. David is considered to be one of Sydney's most senior local government property specialists.
- Successfully represented the Plaintiffs in Pedachenko v Blacktown City Council 89 LGERA 426 which established the Council owed a duty of disclosure to the Vendors of land to the Council in respect of the proposed future zoning of the land.
- Acted for Willoughby City Council in all property matters relating to the development of the Concourse (the new public library, concert hall, theatre, retail and public open space development at Victoria Street, Chatswood). This included site consolidation, compulsory acquisitions, extinguishment of existing easements and creation of new easements, assisting in the negotiation and drafting of management agreement and all retail leases of retail space within the development.
- Successfully represented the Minister for Planning in Class 3 matters in the Land and Environment Court of NSW. On two occasions David has assisted the Minister in convincing the Court the value of land acquired by the Minister was not only less than the compensation sought by the dispossessed land owner but also less than the value determined by the Valuer General.
Publications, Presentations and Committees:
- Forum facilitator at the "Development and Environmental Dispute Management Conference" conducted by the Law Society of New South Wales, 2001.
- Through membership of the Environmental Planning and Development Committee of the Law Society of New South Wales David has also been involved in the preparation and publication of:
- "Environmental Disputes Mediation Service – A Guide for the Community"
- "Best Practice for the Management of Environmental Disputes – A Guide for Local Government Councillors and Officers"
- "What you need to know about Dispute Resolution in Local Government"
- "Alternatives to Court proceedings"
- David was a member of the Environmental Planning and Development Committee of the Law Society of New South Wales from 1996 to 2007.
- David was also a member of the Property Law Specialist Accreditation Advisory Committee from 2009 to 2012.
- 1978 - current: Lawyer and Partner, Pikes & Verekers Lawyers
- July - November 1978: Solicitor, Sanderson Murphy Priest & Co, Wauchope