BA, University of Queensland
LLB, (Hons) University of Queensland
LLM, University of Queensland
Paul de Silva advises in the corporate area particularly in relation to mergers, acquisitions and restructuring. Paul has advised public companies, unlisted trusts and private clients on contractual matters for national and international projects across a vast range of industries including primary industries, mining and energy, financial services, medical and health, property and manufacturing.
Paul was instrumental in negotiating the $40 million purchase of land and water rights in Queensland and NSW. He recently advised an engineering and mining supply company in a major restructure following the sale of 50% of the share capital to Macquarie Group. Paul has represented the interests of a major agricultural operation for over 20 years. He has also advised both financial institutions and pharmacists in relation to loan facilities, the structuring of pharmacy groups and the security aspects including guarantees by public pharmaceutical companies.
- Corporations law and corporate governance issues
- Business structures, acquisitions and sales
- Mergers, acquisitions and restructures
- Commercial contracts
- Foreign investment advice.
Banking and finance
- Structuring and documenting loans to groups such as a pharmacy group, including advising on security aspects such as guarantees by public pharmaceutical companies.
- Acting for financier in documenting securities over fishing licenses, rent roll, book debts and other industry specific assets.
- Advising bankers in relation to public offerings when providing finance to corporate clients.
- Assisting business clients of BNZA (now a division of National Australia Bank) in negotiating finance arrangements for business ventures.
- Acquisitions, sales, leasing and management of retail, industrial and commercial properties, and negotiating and implementing conditions of approval.
- Acquisitions, sales, development and operation of retirement village and aged care facilities, child care facilities, hotel, golf course and recreational facilities.
- Managed investment schemes
- Property development and subdivisions
- Acting as principal solicitor for the Robina Land Corporation in relation to the establishment of the largest development of its type in Australia at that time.
- Negotiating and implementing conditions of approval for Brassall development.
- Acting for private owners of large and small shopping centres in managing agreements for lease, ongoing leasing, assignments and subleases.
- Acting in the sale and purchase of industrial properties including transport terminals, warehouses, aircraft hangars and retail investments.
- Dealing with superannuation issues including applications to the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal
Professional memberships and appointments
Commercial Law Association
Queensland Law Society
Society of Corporate Treasurers
Society of Senior Executives
Society of Trust Estate Practitioners