BA, University of Queensland 1968
LLB, University of Queensland 1970
Certified Professional, Australian Human Resources Institute
Areas of practice
Teacher unions and members - government, independent
Non-Profit Governance - constitutions, governance, legal status
Professional Conduct and standards
Andrew has more than 30 years' experience in employment and industrial relations matters. He focuses on contractual, industrial, professional conduct and equal opportunity issues.
In addition to his legal qualifications, Andrew is a Certified Professional, Australian Human Resources Institute.
Andrew's principal clients are in the education sector, namely the Queensland Teachers' Union and the Queensland Independent Education Union. He also advises and represents both employers and employees in commercial, non-profit and government organisations. Andrew's key experience includes:
- Preventing and resolving disputes, and representation of clients, in a range of State and Federal courts and industrial commission and tribunals, on matters including:
- contractual claims
- arbitral matters
- interpretation of industrial instruments
- professional misconduct and dismissal issues
- discrimination and harassment complaints
- public sector employment issues
- Assisting clients to make the transition to operate under the WorkChoices legislation, including advice (and one case conducted in the Industrial Court of Queensland) on whether employers are ‘constitutional corporations' and advice, negotiation and drafting in relation to common law collective agreements
- Advising on recruitment issues such as remuneration, entry and exit strategies and confidentiality issues
- Acting for clients in judicially determined Federal Court of Australia matters
Professional memberships and appointments
Australian Human Resources Institute
Australian and New Zealand Education Law Association
Australian Labour Law Association
Industrial Relations Society of Queensland Inc
Queensland Law Society
Life Member, Children by Choice Association Inc
Life Member, Queensland Philharmonic Orchestra
Publications and presentations:
- Annual Employment Law Conference, Queensland Law Society, The Significance of Implied Terms in Employment Contracts, 17 August 2010.
- The Impact for Employers of the New Industrial Relations Legislation presented at Macrossans Lawyers WorkChoices Conference, December 2005
- The Rise of Implied Terms in Employment Contracts presented at Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI) Qld Conference, August 2005
- Common discipline and discharge mistakes by employers, presented at IES Employment Law Conference, November 2003
- Knott, Tronc & Middleton, "Australian Schools and the Law: Principal, Teacher and Student", (UQP - 1st Ed. 1977, 2nd Ed. 1980) - Principal Co-Author.
- "Legal Risk Management and Workplace Education" a Study Guide for a M.Ed. Unit, (Qld. Uni. of Technology, 1st Ed. 1997, 2nd Ed. 2000) - Text (147 pp.) and Readings (193 pp.) - Editor and Contributor.
- Edwards, Knott & Riley, "Australian Schools and the Law: Contemporary Issues", (LBC 1997) - Co-Editor and Contributor of three chapters.
- "Schools Principals' Legal Guide", (CCH Australia, 1998) - Consultant Editor.
- "School Health and Safety Guide", (CCH Australia, 1999) - Main Contributor.
- Stewart & Knott, "Schools, Courts and the Law: Managing Student Welfare", (Pearson Education Australia; Prentice Hall, 2002) - Co-author.
- "Preventive Legal Risk Management in Learning Contexts," a unit outline for the Master of Learning Innovation (Queensland University of Technology, 2005) Editor and contributor.
- (Foundation) Co-Editor, "ANZELA Reporter", (Qld), 1991 - date.
- (Foundation) Member, Editorial Board, "ANZELA Journal of Law and Education", 1996 - date.
- Guest Editor, 2000 5(1) "ANZELA Journal of Law and Education".
- (Foundation) Member, Editorial Advisory Board, "School Principal", (CCH), 1998 - 2000.
- (Foundation) Member, Editorial Advisory Board, "Schools Alert - Key Legal, Health and Safety Issues for Schools", (CCH), 2001 - date.
- (Foundation) Member, CCH Occupational Health and Safety and Workers Compensation Editorial Board, 2002 (Board's responsibilities relate to more than 20 CCH products and services).
- Certificate of Achievement, Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association Ltd
- Certificate of Appreciation, Education Law Association (USA)