Kara practices in the commercial litigation and dispute resolution, construction litigation and commercial teams at Blackston Lawyers, advising clients on complex legal disputes and assisting clients to achieve commercial results.
In 2012 Kara was awarded a Bachelor of Laws with First Class Honours and a Bachelor of Journalism with Distinction from the Queensland University of Technology. Kara also completed part of her law degree at City University in London. During her studies she received several university awards including the Law Faculty Prize and was placed on the Dean’s List in 2009, 2011 and 2012.
Kara was admitted to the Supreme Court of Queensland in 2013.
Prior to joining Blackston Lawyers, Kara was part of the litigation and dispute resolution team at a national law firm for two years. In this role she gained experience advising listed companies, government bodies and small to medium sized businesses on a wide range of commercial, corporate and employment related disputes.
Kara’s legal experience also extends to:
- contractual disputes including property and leasing;
- secured and unsecured debt recovery;
- compliance with the Corporations Act and ASX listing rules;
- compliance with notices issued by regulatory bodies;
- intellectual property rights and enforcement;
- competition and consumer law provisions; and
- buying and selling businesses, including due diligence and restructuring.
Recently Kara has assisted a client to respond to an ASIC notice to produce information and documents and develop a dispute resolution policy and procedure in compliance with ASIC and Australian Standard guidelines.
Kara has also advised and assisted a liquidator to set aside a loan agreement and share agreement made prior to a company becoming insolvent and advised and assisted a company to obtain an order terminating its winding up.