In 2010 Virginia completed a Bachelor of
Laws and a Bachelor of Environmental Management (Sustainable Development) with
Honours at the University of Queensland, and was admitted as a Solicitor in the
Supreme Court of Queensland in 2011.
Before joining Blackston Lawyers, Virginia worked as a consultant with a Brisbane based environmental sustainability firm. In this role, Virginia worked with clients ranging from local municipal councils through to large scale industrial / property developers on a diverse range of future planning issues.
Virginia is part of our mining and resources team that provides advice and project management assistance to a number of resource companies on operational issues that can arise during all stages of mining activity. In dealing with these day-to-day operational issues, Virginia works hand in glove with other interdisciplinary specialists retained by our clients.
Virginia’s recent experience includes the following:
- Preparing development applications under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and the Integrated Development Assessment System for infrastructure associated with coal mining activity;
- Assisting tenement holders with land access negotiations to undertake both preliminary and advanced activities under the Mineral Resources Act 1989 and the Land Access Code;
- Working with our client’s environmental consulting team to ensure that the client met its statutory obligations to rehabilitate exploration sites - this included reviewing consultant reports auditing site rehabilitation and providing correlative advice on various Commonwealth and state based legislation;
· Coordinating and, from time to time, reviewing the various responsibilities assigned to external consultants to streamline our client’s mining project;
· Assisting in the preparation of Environmental Management Plans and Initial Development Plans required for mining lease applications; and
· Preparing applications for the grant of various mining tenements.
Along with anchoring her position as a legal professional in the mining and resources sector, Virginia is strongly interested in law reform, social policy and resource management.