Your Rights - Door-to-Door Selling
by Malcolm McColm
Did you know that Australian Consumer Law imposes the following requirements on door-to-door sales people:-
- They can only call on you between 9.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm on Saturday and not on any Sunday or public holiday.
- They must as soon as practicable (and before starting the selling):-
- Clearly advise their purpose is to seek your agreement to a supply of goods or services.
- Advise you that they are obliged to leave the premises immediately on your request.
- Provide you with information on their identity.
- They must leave your premises immediately on request and may not contact you for at least another 30 days.
- That you can obtain “Do Not Knock” stickers and door hangers from the ACCC.
To know your rights is to be able to protect yourself under the law.
McColm Matsinger Lawyers